Founded in Martigny by Alphonse Orsat in 1874, Caves Orsat co-operate closely with thousands of small Valais winegrowers, offering them a cooperative structure rich in humanity and social values. Each year Caves Orsat buys the harvest of around 1,100 suppliers scattered between Salquenen and Martigny even today. Alphonse Orsat was a pioneer in various areas, for example by creating a pension fund for his employees – a rare social commitment at the time.
In this way, Caves Orsat has forged a link between the vineyard and the wine for nearly 150 years, creating an identity for a considerable part of the Valais. Moreover, it has played a major role in increasing the quality of viticulture around the old Roman town of Octodurum (Martigny) on the mythical Grand Saint-Bernard axis.
The renown of the ‘Fendant 13 Etoiles’, ‘Dôle Romaine’ and ‘Pinot Noir Römerblut’ was established more than a century ago. In 1988 these wines were joined by the prestigious ‘Primus Classicus’ range, which comprises wines derived from a meticulous selection of the harvest of the best winemakers. It gives pride to native specialties such as the Arvine, Cornalin and Humagne Rouge.
Caves Orsat moved from downtown Martigny to the south-east outskirts of the town. In 1988, it was incorporated into the Rouvinez family.
Key words: Social responsibility, engagement, partnership, rigour.